Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Teeny Tiny Advertising

Today I was in the car with my two year old and she mentioned it was her birthday soon. ( Well, November! )

"Yes it is", I said, "and what would you like for your birthday?"

"I want Baby Alive" she said.

I was totally amazed by her awnser. Baby Alive is a doll we've seen advertised a few times on Nick Jr ... the dolly poo's in it's nappy ( charming ) hence the 'alive' title! What was incredible was that having seen this advert no more than maybe 2 or 3 times, she'd 'bought in' to the advertising message and was now asking me for a Baby Alive. It's fascinating that a child as young as 2 can 'buy' into a TV advert.

Okay, so clearly others have realised this before me, as channels such as Nick Jr and CITV are full of adverts for toys, but I always thought parents were the primary target market and so now I'm wondering why the people who sell advertising space don't use this great opportunity to help us parents by selling to companies that promote healthier activities.

For example you never see adverts with children exclaiming in delight over a fruit bar or cool sunhats or plasters, toothpaste or a breakfast cereal. It's all toys, toys, toys ... a bit of a missed opportunity to appeal to new markets and give us parents a bit of a smoother ride too ... after all how great would it be if I asked my two year old what she wanted for her birthday and she replied 'I'd like a nutritious bowl of museli please mummy' .....!!

No comments:

Post a Comment