Monday, September 20, 2010

Many mums-to-be in Spain still not aware of the risks of drinking during pregnancy ....

I was quite surprised to read the following report in the Euro Weekly News ( http://www.euroweeklynews.com/ ) last week ....

Betweeen 25 and 45 per cent of pregnant women in Spain consume alcohol during pregnancy, according to a report by the National Association of Health Informers.
Despite the risk of the baby suffering malformations, mental and behavioural disorders, known as Alcoholic Foetal Syndrome,
one in five women admit to drinking up to five alcohol drinks in one sitting.
Excessive alcohol consumption during pregnancy can cause developmental problems and damage the heart, kidneys, liver, bones and brain of the unborn child, as well as leading to an underdeveloped head, a lower bridge of the nose, a thin upper lip or small eyes.
Other possible problems include neuropsychological, memory and learning problems, hyperactivity and poor results at school, as well as alcoholism.




I have to say that I find it incredible that in this day and age when we can't fail to be aware of the risks that women can continue to put their unborn babies at risk like this. I'm not being a killjoy, I enjoyed a few drinks myself when pregnant but just one here and there when out for dinner or at a family celebration. The rest of the time I didn't need it, didn't fancy it and didn't want to unnecessarily harm my baby.

I can only assume that unfortunately these mums to be are very young or very under educated. Maybe dr and midwife surgeries in Spain need more information about the drinking recommendations for pregnancy so that everyone is able to be aware of the dangers ......

No comments:

Post a Comment