Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Big Brother Social Workers ....

I heard on the radio today that in the UK there are proposals to send social workers into every home where there is a child under 5 so that they can monitor how well you look after your child and offically rate whether or not you are a good parent.

As a parent of an under 5 ( thankfully not in the UK! ) I find this idea incrediably scarey. I understand that after cases like Baby P social services feel they need to get into homes more but I don't think this is the right way to go about it .... Surely it's going beyond normal civil rights and is an invasion of family privacy ... we have nothing to hide, but I still wouldn't fancy someone going through my fridge and washing basket in order to decide whether or not I was a good parent. And surely good parenting comes from inside as much as from the outside and no amount of poking around the kitchen can really determine how loved and safe a child feels when just cuddling up to mum and dad .....

No comments:

Post a Comment