Wednesday, February 11, 2009

ARTICLE - Me Time!

At www.indybel.com we offer a range of spa pampering days for pregnant ladies and tired and stressed out mums! In the interest of our customers we thought it only fair to test out the treatments ourselves ... here's what happened when I went for day of 'me time'!

Mummy Pampering at the Thermae Spa, Villa Padierna in Marbella

So, here I was at the Spa ready for a day of ‘me time not mummy time’ pampering treatments and how did I feel? Well pretty exhausted actually. Having endured a week of sleepless nights while my 18 month old dealt with the onset of some rather nasty teeth, I’d offloaded her onto the grandparents and quite frankly the only thing I felt like doing was crawling back under the covers. This wasn’t helped by the fact that the bags under my eyes were pretty close in size to the bags of towels and toiletries I had bought with me, and when you arrive in such elegant and beautiful surroundings as the Villa Padierna you want to look, quite frankly, equally as elegant and beautiful!

Still the calm, beauty and effortless luxury of the spa had an immediate effect on my mood and tiredness and within minutes of arriving I began to feel much more relaxed and for the first time in at least a week, human again! According to their literature, the Thermae Spa promises it’s ‘exotic, opulent and dramatic surroundings will take you away from the stresses of daily life and lead you to a place of relaxation and calm’ … just what every tired and stressed mum needs!

On arrival we were ushered into the changing room where we found gowns, slippers and disposable knickers (this reminded me of labour!) waiting for us. As we emerged from the changing room we were greeted by the therapists who were to be in charge of our treatments and taken to our separate treatment rooms. As you’d expect from a Spa of this calibre the treatment rooms were a haven of peace and tranquillity, emitting amazing soothing smells and most importantly lovely and warm!

I started off with a body exfoliation. This involved having ESPA salts rubbed into my body. As soon as the treatment started I instantly relaxed. The spa policy is that the therapists are not encouraged to chat to you unless you insist upon it, so there was none of that tiring need to make pointless chit chat and I was able to lie back and really relax. After about 5 minutes I was thinking, hmmm I could really get used to this, this is really nice.

Everything about the treatments is luxurious. When the time came to wash the salts off my body (far too soon for my liking!) the therapist made a little aisle out of towels for me to walk the three steps from the bed to the power shower. I was given more towels and new knickers and told to make the most of the lovely toiletries and my therapist would be back in ten minutes to continue.

When she returned it was time for my facial. This was pure heaven. I had towels tucked under my knees which were amazingly comfortable and settled back to surrender my tired and spotty face. I lost count but there were several creams massaged on to my face over the course of the next 30 minutes and each was wiped off with a lovely warm towel. In between I was given an eye and head massage, absolute bliss for any tired mum. I lay there in a state of exhaustion but thoroughly enjoying every single second and mentally calculating how much time we had left and how much money I had with me so that I could think about continuing these amazing treatments for the rest of the day! I should also say at this point that for the next few days my make up less face was glowing.

Following my wonderful facial I was led to the relaxation room to well … relax. The relaxation room is a vision of white, white beds, white walls, white curtains .. and fruit. Here’s a tip, don’t eat too much fruit, I did and regretted it later! As well as fruit there was a lovely refreshing lemon drink to help you re-hydrate.

My treatments were now finished and I have to say I was feeling 100 times better and more glamorous than when I arrived. The afternoon was now to be dedicated to the pool and spa experiences …. the saunas and steam rooms, each one a treat in itself and each a masterpiece in interior design. The brochure promises that these ‘purifying steam rooms redolent of India and Bali transport you to where another world awaits you’ so I was interested to see where I would end up! I wasn’t disappointed, throughout the spa no corner has been spared in terms of beauty, sophistication and design. Every area and room has its own special ambience and much thought has clearly been given to lighting and smell and colour, all designed to relax and enchant. The steam rooms were filled with such ingredients as lemon grass, curry, mint and eucalyptus and ranged in temperature. The pool had amazing hydro jets and for the really brave and adventurous there is even a cold pool. ( freezing cold )

Having explored every room we smothered our hair in expensive conditioner and headed back to the relaxation room where we were served tea ( herbal of course ) and chatted ( quietly ) about our wonderful and thoroughly relaxing day.

So, did I feel that the ‘stresses and pressures of daily life’ had temporarily vanished, leaving me in a place of ‘relaxation and calm serenity’ … absolutely! And would I recommend the spa to other tired and stressed mums … in a second! Oh and if you can convince the grandparents to keep your baby for the night and get your husband to take you out to dinner after your spa day then even better!

To book a Pre or Post Pregnancy Pampering Spa day for yourself, a friend or loved one CLICK HERE.



No comments:

Post a Comment